1.09.2010

Day 9: Hugs for Drugs

Today was another 'Free Hugs' day (sorry I didn't warn you, Heather), and it was a totally different experience then last week.

I set out to do some hugging around 4PM in front of the Maya Cinemas, and it went fairly well. I had more people then expected approach me, and even some stayed a while to watch and ask questions. Now, I need to say something about the people who ask questions. I really dislike them. I mean, I appreciate that they're interested, but they're always so stereotypical. They think I'm doing it for some church group or for community service or all that bullshit.

Stupid Person: Oh wow, that's a neat idea! Are you with a church group?
Me: No, I'm an Atheist and all around anti-theist.

Stupid Person: Aw, that's cute, are you doing this for community service?
Me: No, Salinas is boring as hell for somebody my age and I figure it's more productive to do this then to join a gang.

Why is the public so pessimistic that they think that somebody would do something like I'm doing and not want anything out of it? It really ticks me off, I mean, I know they're just curious, but they can ask the stupidest fucking questions.

Around 4:30 four kids about 17-18 were there buying tickets to a 7PM movie, there were three guys and one girl. The girl was fairly obviously in a relationship with one of the guys, but she came over and hugged me anyways. From then on, the three guys kind of made it their mission to get on my nerves. They were indirectly calling me gay, throwing pennies in my area (not at me) and came up with the slogan I actually find cool 'Hugs for Drugs'. Neither bothered me, it only really made them look like assholes and got me more recognition anyways. They were all white, the girl was dressed in kind of emo attire, and all the guys were some major wangsters. Around 5PM I headed back to the coffeehouse, finished my coffee (my mom was crafting with a friend) and then headed back out around 5:30PM. There were a lot more people there, either pre-buying their tickets or going to a movie before dinner, and it was a glorious time for hugging. In about half an hour I got well over seventy hugs, which by my standards is fucking epic.

Then, the wangsters came back, and I automatically thought to myself that I might as well just leave right then and there. But then something happened, the couple came up to me, and the conversation went something like this.

Wangster: Hey man, we're sorry about being dicks earlier, you're doing a good thing, we really appreciate it. Anybody tries to fuck with you, we got your back.
Girlfriend of Wangster: Yeah, we're really sorry. We'll be over there if you wanna come sit with us.
Me: Uhh.... Yeah....

About 10 minutes later, I see a two guys and a girl walking towards me. Not in my general direction, towards me, they saw my sign and were curious as to what it said. One of the guys is in the Marine Corpse (he has on his Marine pants and a huge backpack, also is stylin' his buzzcut.) The girl and the guy were linked arm in arm, and they stopped in this order, facing me. Marine on the far left, guy in the middle, girl on the right. The non-marine guy read my sign aloud 'Free Hugs' he said, and from the way he said, I knew there was going to be some issue. He followed with 'If we were in New York City, I would kick your fucking ass for holding that sign.' The actions of those around me followed in this order.

1. The guys Marine friend took him to the side and said 'Joey, he's just a fucking kid, you can't fucking talk to him like that'
2. The Wangsters had overheard what Joey said and were on their feet in a matter of seconds.
3. I tried to motion them away, and that it was all good. But they came over and asked Joey if he had some problems.
4. Marine friend of Joey says 'No, we're just gunna go' and the three of them walk away. As they leave, Joey's girlfriend says to him 'What the fuck were you thinking, dumbass?' Joey's response? 'What?! I don't give a fuck!' His girlfriend: Yeah, you never give a fuck about anything, pathetic fucking loser.
5. The Wangsters ask me if I'm alright. I say I'm fine and politely decline a cigarette from one of them.

2/3 awesome things that happened tonight.

3/3: One of the employees walks out of Maya Cinemas, and me being a judgemental prick, I thought he was going to kick me out of the area. No, that's not what happened at all. He approached me and said 'Hey man, I really appreciate what you're doing out here, y'know? Like there are so many people out there that need some love right now. They may walk right by you and talk shit when they're gone, but deep down, they need a hug. And the people that be giving you hugs, they just know that they be needing hugs. They're admitting to themselves that they need more love then what they be gettin'. That's my kinda spiritual view on it, anyways. I really appreciate whutchu be doin', blood. I think I'mma start doing it to in my spare time. Look, my names Prince, and I see you coming in here to see movies all the time, so any time you see me here, just ask for me and I'll get you in for free. You're doing a good thing, man. Don't stop.'

Coolest movie theater employee ever? Yeah, you could say that.

-Bobby

4 comments:

  1. Thats a dope ass story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog (yay, facebook stalking! :D) and I love your writing :)
    Anyway, I think that the fact that his name is Prince is simply best. Also: "Now, I need to say something about the people who ask questions. I really dislike them."
    That made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that sign is coming in handy. And glad somebody's got your back.
    Love,
    That Mom You Mentioned a Few Days Back

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kind of thing would never happen in
    Prunedale. We're just too boring. Quite disappointing, really.

    ReplyDelete