1.03.2010

Day 3: The Revelation

Today, I came to one of the most fascinating conclusions I have ever come to. If you are ever unsure of what to get at a doughnut shop, get the doughnut holes. Doughnut holes are the closest thing to universal a food can ever come to. Anywhere you go, the doughnut holes are going to taste creepily similar.

A lot went on today, it's my last day of Winter Break before I have to go back to getting lectured for eight hours a day. I think I made the most of it, but you can never really be sure of something like that. I woke up around noon and still completely rolled out of bed, I had plans with my mom to go to the coffee house my family has been going to for the last eleven years and hang out, and there was no way in hell she was letting them fall through. I got my coffee and received about 20 minutes of clarity before I realized that I just needed to put my head down for a few more minutes. I put my iPod on and my head down and in ten minutes I was ready to carry on a moderately intelligent conversation. I had brought books with me, but I didn't bring any intention to even open them. I steadily grew more and more aware that I was going to have a really boring two hours if I didn't find something to do, and quickly. I opened my bag, and when I saw what contained (something I didn't see in it before) it became clear that there was something destiny had planned for me today.

About a year and a half ago, I was at a friends house, both of us very bored. The friend of mine was a Junior at the time, and I a Freshman, so he could drive us, and he has a car. That day, we were inspired to do something so amazingly stupid that we had to it, and we had to do it then. It had been a running joke in our small circle of friends for maybe two years prior that we were going to do this, and what a perfect opportunity to make a joke into reality. We hopped in his car and drove into town, as he lives in the middle of nowhere, and the first thing we thought of was to head over to the house of another friend of ours, whose mother is so artsy and perfect some people might find it gross. She made us two signs, one for each of us. They both read 'FREE HUGS'. It was a Saturday, and if my memory serves me correctly, I had spent the previous night at his house. The day of the week is significant because Saturday's in Salinas, there is a Farmers Market in the parking lot, across the street from the local movie theater. A prime spot to give out free hugs? Yeah, you could say that. In a matter of fifteen minutes we had received a insane amount of attention, we had already been told that if we acted up any further we were going to kicked out of the Farmers Market. By this time, we were both having so much fun that we needed to keep going or our day would be ruined and our hopes for the future diminished. We crossed the street and stood in front the the Maya Cinemas. We started to get a bit of a crowd, they started asking questions. Questions neither of us had any clue how to answer. "What are you doing this for?", "Are you a part of some organization?", "Do your parents know you two are doing this?". Yes, a very angry woman even asked that last question. She was obviously not feelin' the love. We stood out there, hugging random strangers, for a good two hours before we called it a day and went back to his house.

Fast forward to today. You've already guessed what's in my bag. A 16'' by 16'' piece of cardstockish material, and in big bold letters the sign reads 'FREE HUGS'. Luckily, the cafe where we were is two blocks from the movie theater, so I took a walk down Main St. and started hugging away. I have since learned that Sunday's aren't very good for giving out hugs, nobody seems to be out and about in this small, crappy little town on a Sunday. All in all, it was a good day. Tomorrow? Well, we'll see what happens.

-Bobby

No comments:

Post a Comment