1.24.2010

Day 24: Parte Uno

I was thinking today, when something is called 'Untitled', isn't that a title?

Yesterday was so epic, that I'm splitting it up into two parts.
Part 1 - Free Hugs
Part 2 - Nina's Party

Part 1: I got up around 11 o clock on Saturday, and as soon as I heard my parents were going into Old Town I had made the decision on how I was spending the next few hours. I grabbed the superior Free Hugs sign, and got in the car. I walked down Main St. and was about 50ft away from the theater when I saw the Farmers Market, which happens across the street from the theater every Saturday from 10AM-2PM. I did circles around the Farmers Market, and was pretty well received. There were three chairs set up, kind of off to the side of the Farmers Market, and two of them were occupied. One by a fairly large man (who had already hugged me) and one by an elderly woman. She pointed to her walker, which was covered with shirts and I shook my head left to right, I assumed she was trying to sell me something. I thought nothing of it, and just kept on walked. I hadn't walked 75ft when two hands came from behind and covered my eyes. 'Keep walking' the guy said, in a voice that was obviously not his normal one. It was very deep and scratchy, and if you've seen Watchmen, it was basically the voice or Rorscach. 'Uhm, I'm gunna guess Spencer' I said to him, and again he said 'Keep walking' in the same voice. He had turned me around now, and had me walking the opposite direction, he had also moved his hands from my eyes to my shoulders, but kept a firm grip, not allowing me to turn around and see his face. He was leading me directly to the elderly woman and the large man, so I guided myself as much as possible when I realized that. We reached them and the woman said to me 'Hi, we're from Dorothy's Kitchen, and if you ever want to come in and get something to eat, please do. We can give you clothes if you need them, to.' she said. I instantly felt like an ass for not approaching her earlier and said 'That's very kind of you, but I'm not homeless.' She pretty much cut me off and said 'That doesn't matter, you can be a billionaire and still come and get clothes and sustenance at Dorothy's.' I hadn't known this before, but I said 'Thank you, I appreciate that.' I attempted to turn around, but the guy forced me to face the woman again. 'Look man, do I know you?' I said. 'Oh hell yeah, you know me.' He was using his regular voice now, but I still couldn't place it exactly, though I admit, it sounded familiar. Once again, I tried to turn around, but he still had me by my shoulders, and he twisted me to face front, yet again. The next part happened all in once movement. First, he wrapped his arms around me with my arms at my sides, picked me up off the ground maybe a foot, and shook me from side to side. It was kind of a hug, now that I think about it. He set me back down after about twenty seconds, and allowed me to turn around. I looked at him, and he looked familiar, but I still couldn't place it. 'You look familiar, but--' I said. 'Yeah, last time I saw you I said I was going to kick your fucking ass'. I almost shat myself, it was him. I froze like a deer in headlights, and he just smiled, not a creepy smile, a genuine 'Hey buddy, what's going on?' smile. 'Oh, yeah, OK. The guy that you were with last time, was he a Marine?'. He shook his head no 'He's Airborne. And dude, you know what I love more then hugs?' he said. 'I have no idea.' I replied, and then he put me in a headlock and screamed 'NOOGIES!' and proceeded to give me really bad noogies for half a minute. He let go, and without saying anything, I walked away, holding up my sign, still contemplating what had just happened. After that, I just went across the street to the Maya, there were plenty of people there, and I wanted to avoid running into Joey again. I stood outside the theater for maybe an hour and a half and did quite a bit of hugging. Honestly, after the second Joey incident, nothing terribly interesting happened.

Part 2 is going to get written and posted tomorrow, because I want to talk a little bit about today, and don't have a whole lot of time. Today I went to Borders and got three things: World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, and Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King. The latter isn't nearly as important as the former two, because that's what I want to talk about. Zombies. My question for tomorrow is this: You can have a main weapon, a sidearm/melee weapon, a vehicle and a destination all for when the zombie apocalypse hits, what are your choices and why?

Mine?
Main weapon: SCAR-H. It shoots a .308 bullet, so it has the ability to completely remove limbs in one bullet and still has a huge amount of stopping power. (I know, destroy the brain, but most of the time you just want to reduce the zombies to the point where they're so slow you almost don't have to worry about them.

Sidearm/Melee (choose one or the other, not both): I'm going with a melee for this one, remember, melee weapons don't need reloading, and they don't require ammo. I choose a high-quality aluminum baseball bat, with a piece of steel wrapped around the top. The piece of steel has lots of bumps in it, making it extremely easy to shatter skulls.

Vehicle: 10-speed BMX bike, for a few reasons. 1. They're almost completely silent, you can ride almost any terrain and make next to no noise. 2. No gas is needed, it's completely man-powered. 3. Durable and light. If you hit a point that the bike can't cross, you can easily lift it, throw it or maneuver it around the obstacle you face. All in all, I think anything that requires almost no gas or no gas at all is your best bet.

Destination: I'm going for a realistic destination, here. This one actually took me a little while to think about. What's the highest-security area within biking distance? Soledad State Prison. Now, you have to abide by the rule that 'No place is safe, only safer' on this one. Of course there are going to be walking dead swarming the place, but you can say that about anywhere.

Alright, that's it from me for tonight. Catch you cats on the flip flop.

-B to the o to the double b y.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking I'd just like a rocket ship to take me the hell off the planet when the zombies come. If I die in space, at least my limbs will be intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read The Walking Dead? If you haven't, let me tell you of the time that they lived in a prison. the prison was filled with zombified convicts. plus four surviving convicts. one of which was a serial killer. temporarily, it was a good place. until the people of the nighboring town found out about it. at which point, the townspeople attacked the prison, after which, only about 7 of the original 20 were still alive. not that a prison is a bad place, the only question is: is it worth the crap you would have to go through to hold onto it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. David with the awesome hair: The Walking Dead is an excellent comic! I commend your awesomenewss.
    Bobby: Main Weapon: 22 rifle (22 bullets are cheap and easy to get and they rattle around in the brain when shot through the skull). Melee: Machete (cause I love to cut shit). Vehicle: My mountain bike. Destination: The abandoned bunkers out at Fort Ord (not only are they secluded and fenced but they are bunkers, so they are built well and defensible. Plus they are close-ish to the beach)

    ReplyDelete